Monday, December 21, 2009

teaching/writing

Shit.
I am teaching writing next semester, and now I must learn to both teach and write. Lauren Berlant has an interesting three-part blog post on this. I always find her both confusing and inspiring... hell, it's the very complexity of her thoughts that make my mind swoon.

I was watching myself type and I noticed that the skin between my fingers has gone raw. It really is too cold to be anywhere but in bed, yet I'm not quite ready to hibernate. I can't tear myself away from the computer (which I leave in the living room so that I don't waste entire nights on the Internet, assuming I'm wise enough to spend entire nights in bed). I've already exhausted Gmail, the Times, my regular blogs and Facebook. I need to snap out of it. There's plenty to do in bed, including my Chinese homework.

Lazy student, lazy teacher (I was counting on being able to recycle my Western Culture lectures).

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I became a writing teacher accidentally when I was about your age. I found that teaching writing the way I was taught bored me as much as it did students. I changed my ways and developed a program that actually teaches students to do the kind of writing people are required to do.

I invite you to visit my website http://www.you-can-teach-writing.com for ideas. You may also wish to participate in the teacher forums there.