Wednesday, September 1, 2010

Chengdu

Traveling in these parts of China is STRESSFUL.
I nearly missed my one-a-day bus to Chengdu because I couldn't get a ride from campus to the station in Fuling. The buses, for some reason, weren't stopping at our school, so I had to go out to the main road, and then they still wouldn't stop to pick up people!!! I was freaking out, so this girl I had just met dragged me down to Ma'an to uncover the source of the snubbery. Turns out the entire town wanted to get to Fuling! Kids moving in to their boarding schools, parents who work in town, etc. etc. They piled into each and every bus, filling them way beyond capacity. Finally I shoved my way onto one of those illegal mini buses and made it to Fuling on time.
Now, if only I had known that getting to town would take twice as long, I would have left much earlier and wouldn't have developed a near ulcer from worrying all morning.

Aside from that mini fiasco, Chengdu was SO great! I seriously love that city, and if I had to live anywhere in China, it would be in Chengdu. I got to see a bit of Christian and Tim, and was reminded once again that HOLY CRAP, WE HAVE LESS THAN A YEAR LEFT! I don't know whether to be happy or sad. It's a bit of both, I guess. I like my site, but I am ready to start grad school!!! Of course, if I get into anywhere!

The best part of being in Chengdu was seeing Elaine and Matt. We ate at the Tibetan Elephant Restaurant - not a fan of butter milk, but yak is yummy! They took me back to their palace and then we went to eat shadow ice... it's like shaved ice, but much softer - in fact, it's incredibly soft, I honestly don't know how they make it!

But I am back in Ma'an and am comforted by the thought that for the next month or so I won't have to go anywhere. What happened to adventurous Kacie who liked to travel?????

No comments: