Tuesday, October 13, 2009

"The Trials of the Academe"

NYT: "Think Again" by Stanley Fish
on Amy Gajda's "The Trials of the Academe"

"When I began teaching in 1962 at the University of California in Berkeley, I asked older colleagues about the decorums and rules of the classroom. In response, I was given the Myron Brightfield rule. Brightfield was then a very senior member of the department. His rule (and I paraphrase) was, When you close the door, there’s nothing they can do to you. Those were the days, and they had their injustices as well as their advantages. Now we have justice, or at least the demand for justice, all the time and it may, Gajda suggests, be killing us."




Strange how I feel so free while teaching in China. Stay away from the 3 T's, and when I close the door, ....
tis the Kacie Miura rule, a very junior member of the department.

No comments: